Just recently I wrote on the health and nutritional benefits of consuming tiger nut as a snack. When I share the article with some of my friends, a few of them complained that they do not like the tiger tubers because of the chaff. Having heard this from them, this prompted to write on how to make tiger nut milk; an alternative which helps you benefit from the nuts…I mean tubers.
Tiger nut milk is a healthy non dairy alternative for vegetarians. Many of them stick with soy milk and coconut milk not knowing that tiger nut milk even possess more nutritional benefits. Asides being healthy, the drink is also delicious. In this short post, you will see simple steps on how to make tiger nut milk in your kitchen.
Equipments Needed For Making Tiger Nut Milk
- A powerful blender
- Muslin clothe
- A plastic container with lid
Instructions For Preparing Tiger Nut
- Properly wash the raw tiger nuts in running water until very clean. 1kg of the tubers will be enough to make tiger nut milk for a family of five.
- Pour the clean tiger nuts into a plastic container and add enough water to cover the tubers up and place the lid over it.
- Place the container in a refrigerator for 48hrs. You could decide to keep it for 72hours. The longer you allowed the tubers absolve water and soften, the better. The reason for keeping in the refrigerator is to avoid fermentation of the tubers which will alter the taste.
- After 48hrs, collect the container, strain water away and remove the deteriorated tubers. Wash properly again under running water.
- Pour the tiger nuts into a powerful blender and add enough water that will allow the blades to move and blend the tubers. You could add more water in this process to obtain your preferred consistency.
- Pour the thick solution over a muslin clothe and completely strain out the milk. You could add more water to the chaff in order to strain out more milk.
- Add other ingredients to it based on your preference. I personally love to enjoy the natural and refreshing taste. Keep in the refrigerator or add some ice and enjoy.
If you do try this recipe, please do not forget to share with us the outcome. We would be glad to hear from you.