I have always supported the idea of home made snacks more than the regular processed snacks sold in many grocery stores. One of such snacks is banana chips especially when it is well made. Children and middle aged people would love it. Plantain chips seem to be more common here in Nigeria but the very first time I tasted banana chip, it became love at first bite.
Ingredients For Making Spicy Banana Chips
- Three big size, semi ripe fingers of banana
- A table spoon of lemon juice
- Salt ( Optional)
- Butter or non sticky cooking spray
- Foil paper
Instructions For Making Baked Banana Chips Is Made
The process involved is quite simple and you could involve your teenage children in the process of making banana chips. It is as follows;
- Peel you banana fingers one after the other. Mean while, as you are performing this activity, pull out the tray in the oven and set it to a temperature of between 180-200F.
- Slice them into tiny pieces (1/8inch) in a slanting vertical version and set aside.
- Pour a table spoon of lemon juice into about 50cl of water, add a dash of salt, mix well and submerge the sliced banana into the solution and take out immediately. Do not do all at once, do it in batches and set aside
- Cover the tray with a foil paper and rub slightly with butter or spray with a non sticky cooking spray to avoid sticking.
- Carefully place the sliced banana on it one after the other and return to the heated oven.
- Keep in the oven for 80mins and check. Turn slices, once they are in your preferred baked colour and place in oven for another 30mins. Do not forget to check at 20 min mark to avoid over burnt bananas.
- Fetch them out of the oven once they are ready and air dry. The longer you air dry them, the crispier they are.
- Once they are dry enough, keep in air dry container.
Your crispy baked banana chips are ready for consumption. The good thing about this is that they can be included and portioned out as snacks for your children when going to school. It is healthier than the sweetened ones sold in supermarkets and not difficult to make.
When you do try this, do not forget to get back to us.