We all know that bread is full of carbohydrate and anyone striving to always get a balanced meal in terms of nutrients should not eat bread alone. There are several other types of foods that we eat bread with in this part of the world — beans, fried and boiled egg, margarine, mayonnaise, stews — to mention a few, but we can even make it more interesting.
How about making this more interesting and nutritious by using tomatoes with your bread to make what is called “tomato bread”? Don’t write it off yet until you have tasted it and do not like it but I think you should like the taste and nutritional benefits tomatoes bring into the combo.
Adding olive oil and garlic into the mix will make it even better. If you read the articles we wrote on how garlic helps improve sperm quality in men and how olive oil works as an anti-ageing agent, you would want to add them to your tomato bread.
Ingredients For Making Tomato Bread
- 4 slices of Bread
- 2 ripe Tomatoes (each sliced into two)
- 1 Garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil (optional)
- A Grill or Toaster
- A Knife
Instructions For Making Your Tomato Bread
- Preheat the grill, then toast the bread under a hot grill until you get lightly golden brown on both sides of the sliced bread.
- Now rub each slice of the bread with half a fresh juicy tomato. If you decide to use any of garlic and olive oil, sprinkle a little of each over the top.
- You can cut into smaller sizes, serve and eat immediately.
Some cannot eat fresh tomato as it is, so they put all the ingredients in-between two slices of bread before heating in the toaster. This makes the tomato a bit cooked and tastier but remember that it is at the detriment of some nutrients.
You can give this a try at home for your breakfast and share your experience and pictures with us. You can make your comments below. You can send pictures to us [email protected] and we shall duly attribute them to you.
TIPS & WARNINGS:
- Don’t use damaged tomatoes. They can land you in the hospital (Click here to see how)
- You can add some blanched vegetables into the mix to make it more nutritious.
Like us on Facebook
Follow @Foods_NG on Twitter