This recipe for Ewedu soup is more like a sequel to my post on the health benefits of Ewedu. It was going to be a part of the post until I spoke with a friend who suggested I could treat the Ewedu recipe as a separate subject on its own. He was right, this is a topic that should be talked about on its own because of this believe an appreciable number of people have about Ewedu.
Preparing Ewedu And What Some People Believe
Just like my 36 year old client perceived Ewedu as a difficult vegetable to prepare, a handful of people seem to believe same. Far from it, it is clearly simple to prepare. Follow the simple steps below and you are good to go.
Ingredients For Cooking Ewedu Soup
The following are what you need to cook Ewedu soup. Some of these are optional as you do not need to add them to get the perfect Ewedu that draws and produce the attractive green colour we love.
- Ewedu leaves
- A dash of potash (Optional)
- Locust beans (Optional )
- Cray fish (Optional )
- Water (Depending on the quantity of Ewedu you want to cook)
Step by Step Method of Preparing Ewedu
The following are the steps involved in cooking one of the most famous draw soups in Nigeria – Ewedu.
- Ensure you pick your Ewedu leaves properly, wash the picked leaves with clean water and drain the water.
- Add water to your cooking pot and place on cooker (Low heat)
- Add a dash of potash to the water to help soften the leaves.
- As the water boils up under low heat, add your Ewedu leaves
- Cook for about 10 minutes to 15 minutes. Avoid colour discolouration.
- Take it off the fire and use a blender or broom to whisk it.
- After it had been properly whisked, place back on cooker, add a pinch of salt, locust bean and crayfish as you would prefer.
- Cook for a minute or two….YOUR EWEDU IS DONE AND READY TO BE SERVED.
That is how to prepare Ewedu soup and of course, you can be adventurous with your method of cooking Ewedu and I am certain you and your family will love it. Do not forget to share this article.
Like us on Facebook
Follow @Foods_NG on Twitter